Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Jonah's puns and dreams of Noah.

Jonah is very punny lately. He will say I want to eat a whole meal and tires. "You mean a whole entire meal?" I will ask.
"No a whole meal and tires. That's what I want. That's what I like to eat."
We also have a book called "Fruit Cake" which is full of different puns on words. He likes to call it, "Vegetable Cake" and asks, "Is that funny?"
And cracks himself up.

On another note,

I dreamt last night of Noah and me. We were in a Chinese restaurant was closed except for special inside people who were gambling. The game was some version of bingo except it was like heads or tails, you had a 50/50 chance of winning, and the cards were actually dim sum  cards. I think I dreamed this because I having been writing a new book and have been recounting memories I had of going into a real gambling house with my father.

 In my dream, Noah got his concentration face on as he chose what his bet was on the dim dum card. He gets this face when doing work sheets. I thought this was a cute little version of gambling for one dollar, but I quickly realized that I didn't understand the game and that Noah could lose more than he was betting and lose in multiples. I stopped him from playing another round as an old man next to him told him to play a $40 bet on the next round.

"Nope, you lost and we're leaving." I said. I was afraid I didn't have enough money to pay.
"I diiiiidddd goooood!!!!???" Noah cried. literally crying the way he does when he loses, not understanding that gambling has nothing to do with drawing your bets well or finishing your worksheet. It's all chance. As he bawled I realized thankfully that I had the $45 he had already lost. In fact, I had thought I only had $100 but I had stacks of $500.00 bill sin my wallet. At this point I sort of realized I was dreaming and thought maybe we should have bet after all, since it was fake anyway. But then I decided enough was enough and we left the restaraunt. The door was unlocked and relocked as we left. The interesting part was nobody there was shady. It was all normal looking restaurant people. Which is why I couldn't believe they were betting such high amounts. It was snowing like crazy outside and it seemed like it was some sort of festival. But now white people were around. That should have tipped me off that I was dreaming too. It was some sort of dream world Chinatown. It wasn't bad either, it's just that the gambling was not to my taste.

I felt pretty sad that Noah was so into the gambling in my dream. In fact I wanted him to play the card to understand at a young age that gambling was bad. But his crying still made me sad. When I told this dream to Grace she said, "It's in his blood." as if my dream were something that was simply true.

No comments:

Post a Comment