Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, March 2, 2015

Noah's Lion Dance Chinatown adventure

This year was easier for me. Our team isn't necessarily bigger in terms of number of people. It's more like the young kids are now teens and are not only willing but eager to do Lion Head, drum, and pretty much anything. Some kids who came earlier got tired real fast so i was glad I didn't bring Noah in the morning. Those kids went back to the school with the baby head about half way through and then as we were almost finished I began to get worried about finishing before Noah came out and had a turn at lion dancing. With creeping horror I imagined his wrath. Well, Grace and Noah drove out as it began to snow and I ran back to the school to get the lion head and to get Noah and Jonah and Grace. The only problem now was I had misplaced my team. For some reason I saw everyone else besides our team. I even started asking friends I knew in the other teams, which would usually be a no-no but hey, the rules change when you have to deal with tantrums.
Noah was pretty mad when he heard the parade was almost over. But almost over is a relative term. We caught up with Jing and the team at the C-Mart near Hei La Moon. Basically we still had an hour left of lion dancing. Passing our school to hit some of the stores by Tai Tung that we had missed in the morning, Jonah was dropped off with Grace at the school. The other teens were basically watching Noah and holding his tail, then I realized I could just go under the little tail and stick Noah on my shoulders for the walking parts. That would save his energy for the actual lion dancing. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that earlier. Of course I think my shoulders became more sore from this section of the day than the entirety of the lion dancing activity that preceded it. But Noah had his Chinatown adventure and we had our Chinese New Year reunion. I really like this little tradition of meeting everyone in the streets of Chinatown, and it has gotten better every year as the teams become closer and closer to each other. It's like a giant family reunion that takes place on the street. It really must be something for a child.
Hopefully next year there won't be snow, so we can actually bring a wagon or something that I could pull Noah and Jonah  in.

No comments:

Post a Comment