Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, March 16, 2015

Classroom and Society

Today I was a classroom volunteer. I should have done it earlier because I got to see a side of everyone's personality that is much different from what I see at the playground. I also see some things I need Noah to work on to defend himself. For instance, he knows how to take care of himself on the playground, where it is all physical. But if someone is physically bothering you in a classroom you need to be able to tell the teacher. Instead he just cried and couldn't even say what happened. One of the teacher's helpers told me he was having some problems like this for a while. He is unable to speak up for himself. But then I think I may have had this problem too.

Here is another thing, I like the way things are handled in the classroom, with feelings corners and calming breaths. However, I also realize now that certain people, perhaps Asians especially, do better in a Legalist environment. For instance, all the Chinese rebellions had to do with Justice being corrupt, or unfair. But in China nobody rebels simply because justice is swift and harsh.

I think back to all the friends Noah had and the parents talking softly to their child when a fight broke out. But the thing is, their child started the fight, and then Noah wouldn't be able to gather himself until a while after he was hit to retaliate. Then the other child would be able to make excuses and twist words and lie. But Noah can't do that. He's not good at it.


The same thing happened today, years later, in the classroom. But I saw the whole thing. I only recounted what I saw when the teacher asked me and she got the child to admit what actually happened. Maybe the kid would not have admitted anything if he didn't know that I saw the whole thing and that lying would be futile. Maybe he would have. I'm not sure.
But then I saw the same child challenge other kids throughout the time I was there. I had seen him in the playground but nothing ever came up there and in fact Noah is buddies with him. That is just how he is. He is testing his strength. But this is not the time or place. There is indeed a time or place. But I'm not sure they have that section in school. Even in my Kung Fu class, the sword fighting section has rules and is more about fun, than a true test of skill or strength. Come to think of it. I may have a pushing/push hands contest with the boys on Friday.

 I will be using some of Miss Shea's tricks at home. I will have to watch more Daniel Tiger to get used to parenting like that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment