Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, March 20, 2015

Make way for ducklings

Today Noah performed in a grand production of make way for ducklings. I was surprised that the house was packed. I figured I would go because I don't have a job and what not. I didn't realize that parents would actually take off from work to see it. I felt like I was masquerading as an enthusiastic parent showing hardcore support for their child and being really excited that he was on stage for two seconds sort of flapping sort of wandering. The truth was that I was only mildly interested and the only thing I had to compare this to was Harprer Lee's too Kill a Mockingbird when scout dressed up like a ham, and then I suppose all these representations in commercials and movies of these school recitals. Somehow I didn't actually believe that people did these things in real life, in Boston anyway. I started to analyze why I didn't actually care. Why I was just getting a picture for Grace and then mildly amusing myself. The pictures and video I got were horrible and I actually hadn't even considered bringing a camera until Grace mentioned. So what's wrong with me?

Oh right, unlike other parents, performing on stage is actually a common thing in our household. In fact I sort of cheated because just two weeks ago I created a show JUST for Noah which was like 40 minutes of Noah performing and Gong Gong made a movie out of it AND my Kung Fu school got paid AND Montclair not only enjoyed and appreciated it, but we contributed to their cultural education. Now Make Way for Ducklings did this too of course. It was cool. Jonah kept climbing under the seats and didn't want to be there. The show was controlled chaos. But I assume Noah enjoyed himself. But I saw a little bit of the work that went into this. And it was a lot. I guess far more work goes into our Kung Fuing and lion dancing since for us it is a way of life. But I suddenly realized that not everyone has the benefit of so many stages to perform on all the time. Instead of getting paid to do something like that, they actually have to pay. In other words, Lion Dance and Kung Fu kids are kind of lucky in this sense. We never realized how good we had it. I only just realize now at 31 after going to this school recital that was packed at 9am.

No comments:

Post a Comment