Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, March 13, 2015

The Noah Show

Gong Gong got pretty great footage of Noah performing, and the kids really enjoyed it. Jonah, unfortunately tore off his uniform and would not play the cymbals. Perhaps he sensed that he was not in a starring role. But if he would cooperate he could have been. I was so proud of Noah for doing his Lion dance and Kung Fu on the stage all by himself. He did three forms. All of them were freestyle, more or less but they looked good. There was an empty hand (kuen) as staff (gwan) and then a sword (do). Except the sword was really a stick which we painted neon yellow, to look like a light saber. I did my little freestyle for each of those weapons first because if I didn't, he refused to go up. But after he saw me do it one more time, he felt that he could. They really weren't bad as forms. The moves were simple, but at least it looked real. Every move had practical and clear application and his eyes followed the strike. I figure he doesn't really have to learn a form (a sequence that someone else made up) for a while, and even then maybe only for reference to improve his free style.

 Normally I would have ended the performance earlier but the truth is the main purpose for this performance for me, was to force experience on Noah. We had a fun little adventure. Tomorrow Jing has another performance at Josiah Quincy. Noah could have done that one too. But he will miss it because he is going to perform violin at a Suzuki festival. I guess that is important too. I can't wait till I can post Gong Gong's video.

Or maybe we can get the originals and Grace can put one of our own out on Youtube.

I've been sick for like a month and I felt a lot better after doing lion dance and Kung Fu indoors and wearing way too many clothes. The sweat made me feel almost as if I had been cured. Maybe I should try and do Kung Fu in the house with too many layers more often. I might get better faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment