Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, March 2, 2020

Clahk Doom Chahng

When I hear the drum beat, I want to hear that deep sound that fills the body. Hitting the  side and coming out of your guts and your chest like a strike pushing the spirit of everyone on the street to to move together. Of course the modern stuff will still bring me running down a street I don't know just to watch a team I don't know do moves I don't know.

When I see the head move I want to see that deep hard stance that isn't just connected to the ground, but the body is connected to the stance and the head tight with the body with those hard lively fierce movements made for the look of those hard cheek bones of bamboo.

Like lightning striking right through to earth's core shocked by the clahk doom doom of the drum with the Cha and the Gong, playing not banging, coaxing out the metal crashing sound in music not noise.

But any moves and beats from masters or teens or children will make me come chasing for a look and pushing against strangers too. As long as the spirit is there.


When I see someone just talk about lion dance and they have that artistic feeling, that essence, without the head but in my imagination I can see their past performance from the street and from their eyes it makes me itch to pick up the drum sticks and play the accompanying beat like a possessed madman, or pick up the head and choi chiang like the same, with kei lun bo that starts and stops like wild sprints shocking children and adults into believe that the bamboo and paper might just have transformed into flesh and breath and blood.

But I will look forward to a workshop that I do by myself for children too.

No comments:

Post a Comment