Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Knock Knock

That's the sound of my son waking me up in the middle of the night because he can't sleep.
I can imagine reading parenting blogs where the response is "Awww honey do you want me to " do this that or the other thing.
My response as I was jolted from dreams was,
"What!?"
"Baba I can't sleep..."
"Well what the hell do you want me to do about it?"
"I don't know do you have any suggestions?" he said crying. You see his biggest fear is waking up without having had enough sleep. But for someone with such a fear, you would think he would not stall so much and make going to bed be like pulling teeth, I tried the whole story telling thing. But how can I really make you go upstairs for the purposes of going to sleep? I cannot really make you brush your teeth or take a shower either. I mean I could sort of... but that would be called abusive. So all I can really do is coax and explain and well....

I remind. The kid is in 4th grade. I was more annoyed by the tears.



"There is nothing I can do... if you can't sleep just lie there. Now both of us are awake."

So while I lay awake thinking about this instead of sleeping I realized something.... I had done the same thing as a kid. In fact, funny story I had woken up with my stomach hurting. It was cause I was hungry but I just didn't realize it. I thought it was some other problem. So my mother suggested sleepily that I put some milk on my stomach. So I literally did that, instead of drinking milk... which is what my mother meant. So that.. going back to bed, explaining, more wtf moments, taking a shower again... yeah. But I was much younger than 4th grade. I mean 4th grade your your own person. You think your like an adult.....


So then I realized also that when I was older I also couldn't fall asleep. So I would practice Kung Fu.
well more on that another time

No comments:

Post a Comment