Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, March 13, 2020

kei Lun

Stayed up late making a Kei Lun. I used a basketball hoop as a base. 8 had gotten a bunch of these from a metal sculptor's place in Jamaica Plain. He told me to take as many as I wanted. My wife had wanted me to throw them away many times. Initially they were going to he used to make drums. I stripped the old bamboo sticks that I had been using to teach kids Kung Fu at Chinese school because they were cracking and because a friend and another Sifu had bought nicer rattan sticks. I fashioned them into a kei lun frame pretty much the same way the real artisans do it, except that I did not always have enough of the bamboo strips to do it properly and I also didn't really know what I was doing. Instead if paper mache I chose to use duct tape. The draw backs of that is painting duct tape might be harder than painting paper. Then again, maybe I just need to do a few more coats of paint. It doesn't look as good as the last kei lun I made, but it is much lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment