Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, September 4, 2015

Showa's Obon Festival

Yesterday we went to Noah and Jonah's open house for school and then rushed over to Showa's Obon festival. Grace had been calling it the Obi festival, which is the belt for  Geisha Kimono, so I was going around calling it that too. Basically I have become one of those people that throws out mispronunciations or Asian words. But I also mixed up Manatee with Manta Ray yesterday describing someone catching one in Florida much to the horror of those listening to my story, until I realized I had somehow mixed up the two animals. Is my brain soft from summer?

Anyway, The Showa festival really was nice. It felt like being at someone's barbecue, except with Bento boxes, and then they actually sang and danced this song at the end. The kids got to play the Taiko... which was a really expensive one I think. It wasn't till all the kids were banging on it that I really looked and noticed that the body was all one piece. I.e. from one tree. I guess I'm the only one who cared because of my background in the Lion Dance drumming. Then again, compared to tuition at SHOWA, or some other maintenance or administrative cost of the school, or a shuttle bus, or something like that, the drum isn't that expensive. I guess it's all relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment