Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, September 11, 2015

Right in the eye

I bought this 99 cent cane for Noah. It has a dragon's head on it and  the wood is treated. It's his new favorite toy. The other day we were working out in the park but he really wanted to fight me or do something more interactive. Some how when I threw a kick the can hit my sneaker and he dropped it. So now I had the cane. So I started doing moves with it coming slowly towards Noah. Noah was pissed that he lost the cane but decided to circle and throw things. Then a stick he threw went right into my eye. Pain anger and, "shit I'm injured." all came out at once. I took a knee. "You win." I said.

And he had won. But I was pissed because maybe I would be blind in one eye now. Of course it wasn't that serious but that's what it felt like. "Am I bleeding?" I asked Noah.
"No just water." he said.

But I was so pissed I could have unleashed all my Kung Fu on him. Why? Because shit, I am already moving towards doing more internal stuff so I don't get injured. I'm out here for my health. But I am a nice enough Baba to play with you and even allow you to throw things. I even will pretend to crumple for your pleasure if you get me in the leg or chest with an acorn. But the eye?

Of course it was by accident. And as far as Noah's skill, by luck. It's not like he is now safe to roam the streets by himself because of his expertise at "ngum hei" And if he had been an expert and had hit my eye on purpose, then my eye would be gone.

"I'm not playing with you any more."
"okay."
"Do you throw things like that at Dai Dai."
"No just other things! ANd I only did that because! you have my CANE!"

"Whatever you fight your own bad guys. I'm just going to finish my workout."

Another thought that went through my mind though was that it was important to admit defeat. Noah might have hit me by luck. But Napoleon chose "lucky" generals over "good" ones any day.

So I praised Noah too. And we did end up doing some more work outs together. He followed along with what I did. Weaving and circle walking.
"What's that for?" he asked.

"Well if I had been doing that maybe I would have avoided the stick in my eye."
"What if I threw a bunch of sticks?"
"That's a good strategy too."
We finished up and went back home.

Today it rained so I worked out on my own after dropping off the kids. Tomorrow maybe we will renew our early morning work out schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment