Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, September 25, 2015

Preparing for Lion Dance parties galore.

Today we have a lion dance where my kids will be doing most of the heavy lifting. I could have had them do two lion dances tomorrow, but I'm worried it will burn them out, so they'll just do one. I think it's good for them to do about one performance a month if possible. At least go to one once a month if not perform. Next month October 10th will be something. Then November? Have to think about that one.

I have been on Shao about parcticing his stick form but I didn't hound him about Lion Dance. I'm not overly worried. At the worst he will look a little rough tomorrow. I'm actually more worried about Dai Dai staying in the tail or the fact that Dai dai might mes up Shao by pulling on him. But in a way today's performance will be a warm up for tomorrow.

By drilling over and over, I could have been more confident, but they just won't do it without arguing and fighting and then you've spent an hour arguing and fighting when all I wanted was 10 minutes of practice... and then 10 more minutes of stick, and ten more minutes of sup ji, and ten more minutes of basics.

So I have actually let things go down to 0 almost. Just go play and get your violin done (which I am now in charge of administering too) and then go we'll do stories and sleep.

I realize as I make them drill the form and they Shao drills it kind of crappily that it would be better to go back to just letting him play with the stick. But once he learns the form, I don't want him to forget it. Which means he at least has to go through it once a day or every other day right?

But he may not even perform the forms this weekend. So I should have drilled lion dance, but it is important for the two brothers to play and use their imagination with each other too. Well, we'll see how it goes. They'll be able to pull something off. This isn't their first time performing.

No comments:

Post a Comment