Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A bike trip into the past

I traveled into Chinatown today for a dental cleaning and on the way back I wasn't sure which way to go. I stopped into Moh Goon but nobody was there, and then I biked over to Castle Court.
I was raised in the high rises. They now look quite fancy. I suppose they are still projects, but now the gardens are well tended. You can hardly tell.



I went over to Castle Court. No wonder I felt comfortable biking around there as a child. The side walks are quite wide. In fact it is quite a nice place for children to play. Probably even more so now. It was never a very heavy gun shot area. Just some. Now maybe there is none... or at least less.
It was interesting travelling back there because I hadn't been back except in some strange dreams. And honestly, things have changed so much that my surreal vision of what they were is probably more accurate. It was interesting to spy on the apartment where I spent my adolescence. I have seen people spying at the house where I live now and taking pictures. When I approached them (in a friendly way.. actually I just happened to be walking that way, lots of people like taking pictures of our house. It's pretty.) They said that they grew up in that house.
I think I understood that guy a little more looking up at a changed window at the kitchen light. Then it was time to move on.
My little bike pass was more dream like than the dreams I had had in many ways.
 Looking at pictures other people took I almost want to go back and take my own and bring out some of the ones my mom took, if only because things have changed. I never valued what it used to look like until I realized that that place is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment