Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, August 19, 2013

Jury Duty

Today I was called to Jury duty at Dorchester BMC. I took the 22 from Jackson Square to get there. I hate taking the 22. First of all there is some confusion about where to get on because supposedly it lets passengers off in one location and receives them in another. But if enough people get on where passenger's get off the bus will take off. Plus there are 22's that go where I want to go and 22's going in the other direction. Then when I get on the 22 the route is winding and confusing.
After getting help from three different people I was pointed to the courthouse. Jude was the guy around my age on his way to work who walked me part of the way.
"Not from the neighborhood?" he asked.
"No I'm from JP"
"Oh I grew up in JP,"he said and we talked a little while. He told me a little about Dorchester. How if you're not from here it's confusing to know how to get around. How there's actually some pretty nice parts of Dorchester that's all white people, but they all stay in their own area. Then he started talking about JP. I felt like a kid on my way to school or something with a friend. Because that's the last time I was able to have such an open conversation with someone my age who I didn't know who was black, walking through a ghetto (residential though it may be)
"Actually I didn't grow up in JP though I grew up in Chinatown."
"Chinatown! That's cool. Then you must have a lot of Asian friends. I'm trying to get some Asian friends because I think it's always good to have friends of different cultures."
"Actually I'm half Asian..... I know nobody believes it but yeah."
We talked some more and then parted ways and I headed off to my civic duty.


****
This was first posted on 8/19/13
I posted another post (on the wrong blog) about how this post actually helped me know that I had already served within the past year, so that when I got called up under the wrong name (Adam Cheng) I was able to quickly find when the last date I served was and where. Thank You Blogger!
Anway my post was on my School blog so I just deleted it and I guess this little Footnote is more appropriate than a whole other post.

No comments:

Post a Comment