Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Kung Fu and Sign Language.

Last night for my First Baptist Church Class I brought in an old lion head and so story tim ewith the adults was the story of the Nian.

I think it was a hit.



I also got a new student who is also a sign language interpreter.

I noticed he picked up the Kung Fu moves very quickly. Now just be natural talent and genes, but he said that for him learning the moves was a lot like sign language because you have to be very aware of the positioning of your body and hands, etc.


There is actually a lot of meaning behind certain things done in Kung Fu and Lion Dance. It is "like" a language.... but any symbolism or meaning is not nearly as complicated as an actual language and an actual conversation.


I was thinking this would be a great idea for a scientific study.

Get a bunch of kids, teach half Sign Language. Don't teach the other half sign language. Then teach both groups Kung Fu and see who does better. Because if it turns out there is a correlation between learning sign language at infancy and being better at Kung Fu, then it would totally be cool to have a bad ass group of Kung Fu kids raised from birth Kung Fuing, and before they can walk, crawl, or speak, using sign language.


Shaolin Temple can take up signing, and maybe even having nurseries or adoptive care again. (I mean they don't do that now, but back in the day they used to, and c'mon there is a need in China right?) But whatever that's them. Maybe I should learn Sign Language.


In any case, some field studies, experiments, case studies and anecdotal stuff. Sounds like a new book for my series to me.

Kung Fu and Sign Language.

I totally need help for this one though. I mean I don't even sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment