Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Hung Gar Tiger Crane

Hung Gar Tiger Crane



My student and friends shared this video with me asking if I was familiar with this form. I realized after writing my response that it would make a good blog post. So here it is.



Yes. I showed the class guys our version of Fu Hok Song Ying the first day. But our form is much different both in moves and in philosophy and how Tiger and crane are combined.

Before My Sifu did White Crane, he did Hung Gar. In their village they had a system called Hung Bak Choi

Hung- Hung Gar, Bak- Bak Hok (white Crane) and Bak Mei (White eyebrow), Choi- Choi lei fut (which is also a mixtire of Choi gar, lei gar, and fut gar systems. 

So my Si Hing also knows the Old Hung Gar Fu Hok Song Ying, which is more similar to this form.

I didn't learn it, because I have to maintain and study other forms already. Plus the form or some version of it is quite common. So if I don't learn and teach it, it's not like it will die out. That is not true of the other forms I practice. 

end e-mail.

There are also concepts and techniques in this form that are in the other forms I do as well. When I look at other systems, I find it better (for me) to learn FROM them instead of learning them. I don't have time to learn every style of Kung Fu. Instead I have the style that was taught to me as a base, and I look at what other people do and their specialties as a comparison. I feel it does help me think about my own training. However it doesn't mean I'm going to drop what I have done for over a decade and learn their form. As far as just adding what they do to what I do, again, I don't even have enough time in a day to do all the forms that I know. I would start with that. But it doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching others perform.


No comments:

Post a Comment