Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

11.22.63

This series is awesome. I watched it with Grace last night and couldn't go to sleep afterward. We talked about what would I do if I went through such a closet. The show called it a rabbit hole, referencing Alice and Wonderland. But it's really the closet from C.S. Lewis's the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe... except this story is for adults.

Critics are calling it slow (Are you fucking kidding me? What do you want, Bam! go back and kill Lee Harvey Oswald end of story? Fucking stupid millenials.. even though I am one.)

And others say it is a Baby Boomers Fantasy. Now There is a point to this. Because usually you think of a time to go back to and it would be to kill Hitler, not to prevent JFK from being killed.

I would go on to say that maybe it is a WHITE baby boomers fantasy. Because why not prevent Martin Luther King and Malcom X from being killed? Though one could argue that since JFK was killed first and maybe had more power.. etc. One could very well argue that had King not been shot, he would have died of a Heart Attack shortly after any way, like his colleague.. whose name I can't remember.

He wasn't shot (arguably) because he did not want to protest Vietnam.

Anyway, this whole series is based on the idea that you save JFK, and Vietnam doesn't have to happen the way it did and all those boys don't have to die.
I'm not sure how I view Vietnam. To me it's something that happened. It would never occur to me that it would un happen. Grace said that maybe my point in time to prevent would be 9/11.

I'm not sure. I feel like if I went back in time... all I would be doing would be enjoying life and taking advantage of the fact that I had an edge on everyone.  Especially if, as happens in the series, the past pushes back. Hell maybe I would just play around. After all. Is money and fame that important when you have this cool little closet to play with?Maybe I wouldn't use it for anything.

"You wouldn't go call your dad?"

I don't know that I would. is that weird?

Anyway, it would be cool if maybe some Youtuber, maybe a Black Lives Matter youtuber does a reprise of this series, where they try and stop King's  ro X's assassination. How would that story go? What problems would they run into? You could do something where you go back in time to when Malcom X was in Boston and maybe try to prevent him from even going to jail or something. It would be cool to play with.

The sereis stars James Franco, and is based on a book by Steven King. It's a Hulu original series. I'm not hooked on many shows. But I am hooked on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment