Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Keanu Reeves Man of Tai Chi

I'm watching this movie right now. Jonah fell asleep. I thought because it had Keanu Reeves as an actor and director that it was a Hollywood film. But actually it is totally a Chinese Hong Kong film. That shows ho wthe world has changed. The beginning was a bit violent, like killing people violent. I dn't really see why they needed that type of graphic stuff in there at first. But actually it is to show what  bad guy Keanu's character is.

I recognize the protoganist from an Anthony Bourdain episode. The movie is totally Chinese and showcases traditional Kung Fu cinema in a modern setting. I.e. their fighting Lei Tai but the sequences are old school.

I don't really feel like I have to pay much attention because it's your regular weak plot etc. It's about the fighting. You may be surprised to hear that when I watch a movie, I actually don't care much for the fight sequences at all. In fact the "training" aspects of the Tai Chi are much more interesting to me.

As far as the reality of it... well the whole premise is pretty unrealistic to me. ehh maybe it's possible to have an elite club that watches underground fights online. I just feel like it's unlikely. Also the whole stuff about what Tai Chi is for etc.

Tai Chi, used in a fight, is actually pretty hard.. in a relaxed way and Wu Gong Yi, was a 6 province champion when he was younger.  For some reason I can't find the video of that fight on Youtube to against Chan Hak Fu to link too. But that's what his version of Tai Chi looked like in a real fight. Pretty much it was hit faster and harder and be able to take hits.

There are some interesting concepts brought up.

Especially in terms of the internal struggle. But I would argue that the older generations of Kung Fu were far more violent than the younger ones.


I guess trying to show the futility of fighting etc and of course the older wiser generations are the more peaceful ones. But if you look at the history of Kung Fu I would have to disagree. Kung Fu traditionalists have never been more peaceful.. especially since the ones that are fight crazy tend to go to combat sports. As for warriors, there are always plenty of wars to fight and join, always has been.

In the past Kung Fu was tied up in this stuff. In radicalism, in terrorism, in freedom fighting. Nowadays? Even if China's army sort of does Kung Fu or a version of it, that aspect of their training is not what actually comes into play in wars with planes and bombs. Even if you kill someone with a bayonet using a martial thrust, does that have anything to do with the Chi Gung moves you practiced? Well maybe the Chi Gung moves help you calm down afterward.

But then in the movie it is a specific branch of Tai Chi.. so whatever. I'm just saying the new China tends to hold up the traditions of the past (the Guan Gung Statues) the heritage, as one of complete justice and peace, and it is the new modern ways that are violent and dangerous.

I just feel like there are a lot of younger people that might be more about peace and more about social justice, than the older generations.

....

Okay watching the end now. Actually not a bad message in terms of why should the fighters fight each other, fight the system that put them there etc. Totally like Hunger games. Not bad.

Oops the last scene was the battle with Reeves. He learns to become nothing, masters his chi.....Have to say though the Kung Panda movies were better. But I guess this wasn't bad....

Oh my god still more movie, when is this going to end?

Traditional and modern can exist... okay great. Yes very true, thank you China.

No comments:

Post a Comment