Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Ip Man 3



I'm pretty excited to watch this new Ip Man movie. Mike Tyson is in it ( though I suspect he does not have that many lines. And that's supposed to be Bruce Lee in that last clip. This is going to be the movie where Ip Man and Bruce Lee really cross over into legend and mythology. Well actually Ip Man already has, but I mean to the extent that Wong Fei Hung did. It look like they are going to be on the same level as Baman and Superman with masked crime fighting heroes. Etc. Too Bad Mike Tyson has to be  bad guy. I hope to see him in more Kung Fu movies, and doing more kung Fu type stuff (retreats at WuDang mountain and Shaolin Temple, that sort of thing. I think it will be good for him.

I honestly think that the fact that he looke sort of like a bad guy in this movie has nothing to do with his personality. It is veiled racism. Mike Tyson, in interviews talked about his excitement in learning new thing sbeing in a martial arts film, and this is his first one.



But I think he really could be a bridge between these two genres. Let's see him starring in a Chinese movie as the protagonist. If you think about his real life, he is the quintessential Kung Fu master that becomes say a Lo Han monk, after having a really rough and violent life as a bandit or a general... or a professional fighter... and after seeking peace in meditation, creates a new Form. Whether it's Iron fist, or a new stick form.. .whatever. I'm just saying Mike Tyson's boxing career is pretty much over. But his career as older experienced and wise Kung Fu Master with philosophy and meditation... that has a whole lot of potential. Plus it will keep him away from the dirty things in life.



Basically he could totally do the Dalai Lama type circuit. He sort of already is doing it. But with that added Tai Chi internal meditative type practice, it can become what he is remembered for... and people will look back and say.. "Oh by the way did you know Mike Tyson ALSO used to box? He was pretty good. He was actually a champion."



Some nods to other movies I noticed was that they were fighting in an Umbrella store. A 14 year old Bruce Lee was actually in some movie about selling umbrellas. He was teaching Cha Cha to someone and then the dialogue went into how an inch of time buys and inch of gold... but one inch of gold can never buy an inch of time. I mean I think that's why the umbrellas are in there.



I'm definitely going to watch this movie but I also suspect, that I will be disappointed. But a Chinese movie with Mike Tyson? gotta watch it man.

No comments:

Post a Comment