Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

White Devil Movie and book.

So Grace had told me that I should have written a book about John Willis years ago, in fact I wrote out a letter and was ready to mail it to him. "No he's going to be all freaked out that your like a stalker."
Others told me, "Your nothing like him. Not in personality, not in appearance."

They explained that for him it was calculation and about money. But for me, I was about ideals.

(You could say the same thing about my mom, that she was about ideals. That's probably where I get it from.)


But still, there are similarities right? And just because one book was written that doesn't mean I still can't write another right? It's also interesting that though we never crossed paths (maybe once accidentally, I would have to confirm with him though) that I know people who know him.

In fact I had heard about him for a long time because everyone would always be like, "Wow you are the SECOND white guy I know with impressive Chinese."

When I was listening to Bob Halloran about his book "White Devil" on WBUR Grace just hammered in, "I told you to do that! I told you you should have done that!"

Of course she also told me not to mail that particular letter.

Now there is a movie being made and Grace was like, "Yeah you could play him in a movie."

But when I say let's film it she says, "But your bald. what about that dot on you face? This guy was really big you would have to bulk up.

Yeah but it's just BASED right? It's just a movie right? Who are they going to get? Jeremy Renner? Matt Damon? The biggest insult of all would be if they got Mark Wahlberg, who has a tense relationship with the Asian American community. But Hollywood would totally do it. I mean would it be that different from his role in the corrupter?

IN any case, Me and Dai Dai each made little videos. I just want to show that I can do a Boston accent and do a  guy speaking Chinese... in a Boston accent. That's different then how I normally speak Chinese. I just thought it would be funny. So I'm dressed up in my Irish outfit, AKA my nice clothes, and here me and Dai Dai go! Enjoy!


And the other version with Dai Dai as the dealer. In this version he is dealing Oreos. 


Okay so these aren't the best videos. But I plan to revisit this project and maybe some other scenes as well. 
Hell, now that I think about it, just because the pros are making a movie, doesn't people in Chinatown can't make their own version. In fact, when the Hollywood version comes out these other versions (which will have to actually be good to compete... but people would still watch them even if they're not for entertainment purposes. Ever see "Mad Black Men" which is a reprise of "Mad Men." ?)

So I'm not good with making videos and stuff.... yet. But I'm working on it. And this would have to be a collective effort anyway. 


Someone told me, "Dude just write a book about your mom instead."

I will definitely do that anyway. It's good to have a family book and my mom did a lot of cool stuff before she met my dad, but there is some overlap with the story of "White Devil" which apparently Warner Brothers is putting as one of their top priorities.

Besides, even if I had written a book.... Bob Halloran's would still have gotten more notice anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment