Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Meditations on a stick

I am planning a new outdoor class for Sundays in spring. It will be a meditation class with a yoga mat and a Kung Fu stick. My thoughts were that people like props for their meditation. Beads, sticks, crosses, statues. I used to think those things were silly but I realize that even though the "crutches are for cripples" idea has truth to it (I heard that one over and over from Warren Myers at Groton) a Crutch can also be a helpful tool. Other aids of transportation can make an able bodied person (and a handicapped person) travel faster, like bikes, cars, and airplanes.

In any case. I thought it would be a cool thing, to have a class where you do some poses on a mat with a Kung Fu stick, but the focus would be meditation.


In the winter, there is no point in bringing a mat though, because there is no way I am sitting on the ground now. But I thought, maybe I should just start going out and doing some stick stuff every Sunday just to get used to it. And I really loved going through all my sick forms. In between the forms I did some basic drills, the same way I have been doing Mein Lei Jum (Tai Chi) and doing basics Mon-Fri at 8:30. (I have already posted on the internet that this is a "class." So even though it's just me, in my mind that is already a class. $50 a month or it is included in the fees for my other class.

So do I really need the mat?

Now I'm feeling like I need to pick a day to do my sword stuff. I think that should be Saturday morning. I totally didn't do any Kung Fu yesterday after doing it everyday for a week. I felt depressed. I felt like a loser. I went through withdrawal, and I realized that if I don't do my Kung Fu thing in the morning, I may not do it.

If in my mind I don't have some sort of reason to do my Kung Fu in the morning (a class which I have already told people about on the internet, then I am more likely to say, "Oh I'll just do my Kung Fu stuff later."

Okay, so I will make it official right here.


Mon-Fri 8:30 am Mein Lei jum, Kung Fu and Tiger Crane class. $50 a month

Sat Mornings 8:30 am Sword Class $20 a class

Sunday Mornings 8:30 am Meditation on a stick $20 a class.

I guess I will start out with basic stuff anyone can do and do the forms slowly so they can follow along.
And then I will move into more complicated stuff. Even if it is too hard to follow along it is good to expose moves to beginners, so that when they eventually do learn them, they will pick them up more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment