Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Grace had a Dream.

Grace had a dream last night that she was a black man. In fact the details of the dream are so convincing that my superstitious side wonders if dreams are not all in the brain but come from elsewhere, and if somehow she got this dream from a spirit or something. The fact that MLK day is coming up is also worth noting. In any case- to the dream.

"I was part of this playwright club in New York. It was like a gym where you pay your $100 or whatever and you get a desk and you are supposed to write you play and there are people to help you edit or whatever... and I just knew for some reason that I was a black man, it wasn't like I felt it was strange I just knew... and everyone else in this place was either white or Asian. In fact a desk down from me was that guy David Huang or whatever that wrote M. Butterfly and people would tap him on the shoulder and and shake his hand and smile, and be like, 'We should collaborate.' and I was like 'Huh people don't treat me like that' but it wasn't like I was crying about it, I just knew that's how it was."

"And  I could feel that people would see me coming and before I opened my mouth they were already like, 'No you can't do that' and ready to shut me down. But I didn't feel like it was because I was black. I just felt like it was because that's how it was. And any time anything didn't go my way I automatically knew how to deal with the situation. I could feel that I was very fit and very strong, but I had this great idea for a play and I really wanted to be a play write."

"The play was a love story between a black guy and a black girl and I had all these original songs that I had written for the play and I just knew that they were good songs, but when I submitted my play to this black girl who was editing them she was like, "this ain't no good! and these songs ain't no good."

"So I knew that I had to like flirt with her to get her to even notice the play. So I was like 'look boo' or something like that I can't remember what I was saying but I was talking black and she was talking black because I was trying to get her to help me but at first she wouldn't, she was like, 'I ain't your boo and these songs are no good.' So I told her that I wanted the songs to be like this Casey and Jo Jo song and the other one was like that 'I don't want no scrubs' song and there were a few other songs that reflected what stage of the relationship to two characters were at that point in the play. And she was like, 'well why don't you just use those songs then!' And she was like 'Here I'll show you how to write it."

"So then she started writing the play for me and I was like, 'Okay' but I was still looking over her shoulder to check because I still needed to see if it was good because in the end it would be mine."

"And so I could feel that this was just a really hard way to live, but in the dream I didn't that this was because I was black I just thought that this was the way of life. Everyone else had computers and everything but I didn't even have pens, even though I had paid my $100 or whatever membership fee just like everyone else. And I could tell that it was assumed even before people looked at my play that I couldn't write and that I probably didn't read as much or something, so that even before they looked at anything they would just assume that there was no way that what I wrote was any good."

"So anyway everyone else is writing already but I have to just keep hustling and hustling just to get to the point to start writing. I hadmy little desk with all this lucky bamboo everywhere, but no pens. So I had to go around and flirt with all the admins who were black girls and smile and ask them if I could borrow a pen. And they would suck their teeth and look away while handing me the pen like, 'Sorry ass. Here's your pen" types of expressions on their faces. But I just had to do keep hustling to get my pens, get my paper, and get back to my desk with the lucky bamboo placed around it to write my play. So I was all set up to write it, and then that's when you said.."


"Grace are you awake? You said you wanted to get to the Post Office by 8am. It's 7:15 right now."


"And that was my dream."

Has anyone else ever had a dream like this? I wonder if there is some black play write who just died or something and decide to give his experiences to Grace. I swear it's like the muses are speaking to her.


No comments:

Post a Comment