Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Letter from my mother: From Japan, to Francis

My Mom always used to keep this photo around because she liked to remind herself that she used to be skinny. It was taken in Indonesia. My mother spent most of the 70's in Asia. 
I cropped her out of the larger photo, which looks like this.

We forget that our parents were young. In any case, here is a letter from my mother, to my Uncle Francis and his then wife Nelly. 





The letter is from Japan. My Uncle must have given it back to my mom at some point.



(Page) 1
Dearest Nell & Francis,
"Oh well here I am and what to do next. I hope you get here quick before I make any decisions. I'm really bad on decisions. Dying to look like a Paris fashion model for the night club scene and being whatver I am in between. The money is unreal but I've got a lot to say, First, be sure to hit Indonesia. It('s) the best place anywhere cause every where in Indonesia is different and with really good people. Yeah, a bit of rip off butthey're poor as shit, they need it. And it's not heavy. But careful of the magic mushrooms in Bali. Just take it easy. I didn't. Magic, Everything, I was there.

Phillipines, Yeah. Here (Japan and H.K. expensive but this is where you can make money and there's no place else until you hit Perisa---long way but also good. Chicks make lots here but guys too, teaching Eng(lish) (about 3,4 US per/hr min. Chicks much more in the night club scene. Get Jerry Glackin's address in Iran (Persia) before you leave. He will know what's happening here. After this and it's really cheap. (1,000 US/year 1 person for everything---and I had a good time. Most went on dope. But no dope easily gotten here except from weirdo ex- U.S. army which I don't care to gt into. Rather abstain until I find some good freaks (breaks?) -But I really miss it. Sake isn't quite up to it. Customs never checks the bottom of anything especially for smiling chicks. Here Nell you need fancy clothes for nightclubs best gotten when your in Hong Kong. The investment is worth it. And design your own shit. Have fun. More than anything don't forget to hit Indonesia first

Page 2

You might never leave. Cheap. Cheapest of all and really beautiful--- everywhere. There's a small freakish kind of scene in Bali but Bali is much much more than this, get away from this after a while and meet some Balinese. They're- well you'll see.
I know it's risky But can you send a little dope--
flat in an envelope c/o Piete Restante? If you think it's o.k.----Do, if not don't. I don't trust the people I've met here. All U.S. Navy or xx
Do what you think -Don't worry etc./ I've got so much to tell you. And people I want  you to meet/ Don't get stuck in Bali though- Off Sumatra theirs islands, islanlona (?) everywhere with no tourists just smiling people. Yeah the Catholics got eaten up in boiling pots and everybody laughs about it now but they don't mind if you come and bring new fangled fish hooks--but they dig that shit on the new reel(?) they've got ones of their own.

-Sorry for a few days interruption, it's now about the 11th of Feb and I'm freezing my ass off here. They don't have heat in the houses. You've got to get your own. I've got a kerosene stove but it doesn't give off much heat. We had an earthquake here (my first experience) It was about 2 in the morning and I happened to be reading "The Exorcist" Well that was something I'll never forget. Alone and with all the weird sensations in my mind from reading this book. Suddenly the whole fucking building started shaking and the things and me in my little room too. The candle and flowers on my little table fell to the floor pther stuff too. At first I really didn't know what was happening and the

Page 3

obvious devils were in full action in my mind then I thought it must be an earthquake but wasn't sure till the next day when people were talking about it. / Mom's Birthday is in a couple days and this time I haven't gotten a card in time- can't find any nice Japanese cards only Western ones./ Still have to get a job. Oh it's easy enough but haven't gotten my head together to go into the night scene again. It was a bit heavy in the night clubs in Hong Kong but sometimes you need a rest from dealing with the kind of people who go to them__ Next week I'll do it. Been looking for two months, teaching a bit of English to get by. I seem to get fat when I get unhappy I've noticed. Not that I'm anywhere like I used to be__pure podister (?) Anyway, a good friend of mine is coming to visit (from Osaka) on the weekend. (Jap.) You have to meet him. I've been telling him about you both.  Can't speak English much to anybody but him. Meanwhile my Japanese is really lousy so I talk to myself a lot. After reading the Exorcist I've taken up a good bit of American slang again. But mostly to myself. When I do meet Americans they keep saying I'm not American cause my accnets changed a bit I guess-- to what I don't know. I can't tell that it's changed/ I miss you/
Soon as I get spem good stack of money together I've got to send some goodies home. Some neat and beautiful stuff here. Jesus I might even stay here. Who knows. Sterim (?) Just washed my sweater. Don't have a coat yet but I'm putting it off because it will be warm in another month or so and I feel warm enough- almost with my sweaters. I felt so arrogant looking while I was walking around. So many people and everyone bumping into you and pushing- a big city Tokyo

Page 4

I know this is to be expected in crowded places but I just felt like telling everyone to fuck off when they kept pushing me-- not used to it anymore. But whenever I give my old dirty look I'd get a pardonable Sumimasen--- people excuse. Even shoplifted some gloves and toilet papoer today (5 rolls) Just letting out my old things and I needed the gloves. But shit I feel a bit guilty  cause most people are so honest here. Don't want to start messing up the scene/ Saw a lot of Jap addicts in the street today- unusual really depressed me but couldn't talk to them alone needed somebody else with me.  (there is a stain on the page) One drop of wine for you the rest for me I'll treat Jesus.

You better when you come to visit though. It's freezing here. I hope it gets warm soon. I'm smoking (cigs) again but not much/ Oh there's so much to tell you before your April trip.  But just keep my address here in mind and my friend Yuki. He'll know where I am in case I get thrown out of Japan for a while. His name and address in Osaka!

Hideyuki Takahashi (Yuki for short)

...

Hagiwara, Kawanishi City
Hyogo, Japan
(near Osaka)

Write me c/o Poste Restante Tokyo through my real address is on the back of the envelope anyway. Either is good. How is Richard? Kath. Haven't heard from them in a long time. Take my love-- Dolly


No comments:

Post a Comment