Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, January 29, 2016

Walking Meditation

After my daily work out, I've been making a point of ending with walking meditation. I used to practice this a lot, but it was sort of just mixed into my other kung fu and part of the advanced training. However I am totally using it in my beginner's classes now. Why?
Well first of all it's simple.. and I've been focusing on stuff that is simple.
Plus I realized that after you pushed your self, that slowing down and trying to walk with your eyes closed really really slowly is a challenge. It's actually kind of trippy too. Something about moving makes you feel way different then sitting or even horse stance meditation.

I saw something on Facebook about meditating on happiness, and I realized that I might as well start doing that too. It might be weird to be throwing punches while at the same time closing your eyes and picturing your kids doing cute things... but that's totally what I did today. I mean when I am doing the repetitive punches, it's not like I really need to be that martial. I don't need to picture where I am hitting anymore. I got it. I understand the move. The exercise is more to stretch out my waist and arms and train my body. So meanwhile I can exercise my mind by thinking happy thoughts.


Later on when I do a more free style practice (both slow and sprinting) I sort of still have to picture the enemy though. I wonder if ultimately, this is harmful to my luck and well being though.

After I really get settled into my routine I think I am going to add a weapons section to my daily practice in the afternoons. Maybe I will only do this every other day though. I don't want to burn out. I just noticed that when I did my weapons practice on the weekend, I was pretty sore afterwards... which basically means my muscles are not as strong as they should be. But I still don't want to overdo it.

No comments:

Post a Comment