Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Watching the Man in the High Castle

This weekend I watched the entire season of the man in the high castle. Grace wasn't into it, but I just couldn't stop watching. At first I almost got bored because I was like, "Yeah okay life sucks.... sort of." because well things are different but I mean there is still a lot of bad stuff happening in our reality. But then there was this weird thing with the films that show alternate realities and that's what kept me watching.

This series is awesome because even though it is a dystopia it is a fantasy where at least we're one hundred percent the good guys. It will totally help you not think about the geopolitics of today, so in that way it is very much a fantasy. I mean no ISIS here. Just Nazis. And the Japanese Imperial Empire.
I was thinking too that probably there would be hardly any people of color in this series. I mean they would have an excuse not to look for a diverse cast. After all in this dystopia, Nazis rule the world. But actually this is one of the most diverse shows I've seen. Isn't that weird? And... how so? Well, There are Jews and African Americans on the West Coast (which is controlled by Japan. Because there's is a military state and all that... but the whole racial purity thing doesn't matter as much to them) Plus there is this lawless neutral zone and there you have all kinds of people.

So this thing takes place in the 60's (again if the Nazis and Japanese Empire won) but it's weird because even though they set up camps in the U.S. again, in the U.S. there was a lot of lynchings at that time, and they reference that... so you get the sense that, yeah it's a dystopia, but so was the reality for a lot of people.

The weirdest thing is that they are trying to keep Hitler alive in this one, to keep the peace. And the "bad" guys, well you really get into their character and empathize with them. Plus one Japanese character is always using the I Ching and meditating... and in the ending there is this really powerful spiritual reality event. It really held my attention, hence why I finished the whole first season.

It's pretty thoughtful. Grace said it was boring. But I'm going to go ahead and try to read the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment