Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Yoga Fu

I was working on this idea for a while. The name Yga Fu, seems to simple and silly, but Grace started calling it that and I haven't thought up a better one. Basically it is Kung Fu adapted to a map, and instead of doing a form, you try to fit in all the stretchy stuff even if it doesn't make martial sense.
It started off with two separate manuals. There was one that was Tibetan Yoga Kung Fu, that might have a pirate theme, and the other one was lion dance themed. I stopped working on it because the pictures were harder to do than I thought, and I realized that the origin story would have to come out of theis other novel I was working on Aravel, which is like Lord of the Rings meets Lion Dance. So I've been working on THAT book only. But I have been practicing my Yoga Fu to develop it further and to master it.

The basic thing it started from was this.

A Kung Fued up Sun Salutation. Like a Sun Salutation but with Gung and the Warrior one stuff done just like how it's done in Tian Gong Kuen.

Then 100 Chuen kuens or straight punches.

Sun Salutation, 100 Pows, Sun salutation, 100 cups, Sun Salutation 100 been ngaus (back fists and hooks), Sun Salutation, Punches with leg lifts, Sun Salutation 100 Walking punches backward and forward staying within the confines of the mat.

That worked with Noah a few times but then he got bored. Actually looking at it now, it looks like a lot. Even in it's basic form. But say, if you ever studied Woo Ching White Crane at our school even for a summer, you could look up Sun Salutation and some version of this. Actually I guess you would still need some instruction in the variation of Sun Salutation.

Dam it that was the simple version? Well I've made it even more complicated since then adding in strikes to the Sun Sequence. And then there is also a moon sequence which incorporates back bends. It still simple though because anyone can do these moves or some variation of them.

Then I went ahead and added my 10 animals from wheels on the bus, but made it more free style. Basically it's become something great for me, but I'm not sure it would be easy to follow anymore. Someone certainly couldn't see it once and then memorize it and work on it at home. It's not like the 5 Tibetan rites. Which is sort of what I was aiming at in terms of simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment