Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Giant Icicles

I didn't really want to knock down the giant icicles. They were pretty. But our downstairs neighbor and Grace thought they may cause damage to the house. Okay I thought so too. In truth, we have a couple of leaks but they are not anywhere near where the icicles are.
Another part of me really did want to knock the icicles down, because I knew it would be fun, but I thought Noah might get angry.
"Why did you do that!" I imagined him saying.
"I want you to use that Samurai sword to cut them and I will video it." Grace said.
I thought that was unnecessary but if it was for entertainment purposes.... okay.
Some part of the icicle, like normal icicles, just felt after being touched. But some really did indeed require the sword. In fact, the cheap sword, a manufactured replica of Tom Cruises sword in The Last Samurai, sold at one of those mall antique shops I would go into except that Grace wanted to priced at either $15 or $25, (so how can I not buy it even though it is utterly useless to me) well, it bent. Not only did it bend the weak way where you would think cheap metal would bend, but it bent where it should have been strong too. And by the way I did not swing hard. Well I didn't want the sword to snap off and fall below or somehow cut me (I could care less that it is broken like I said it is of no use to me) so I got a stick. In retrospect I should have used the ice chipper. But I didn't realize this until I had knocked all the icicles down by spearing them with the stick (if they were thick) or touch or whacking them (if they were small or simply not at a good angle for me to spear.
Stick form techniques came in good use. In fact, a lot of those techniques were pretty useful for shoveling too.
Here's what I've learned.
For usefulness: tools like you get at home depot. Those are better for shoveling, hitting and even fighting if you ever had to.

For Look or decoration: Cardboard or paper mache on a stick. You can make any sort of fantastical weapon or even animal head on a stick and even perform Kung Fu with it as long as it doesn't have to hit another stick.

Anyway, Noah squealed in delight as I hacked at the icicles. We got a video. Grace's choice of background music accompanying me gingerly touching the icicles with a sword made us laugh pretty hard watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment