Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, February 20, 2015

Hey your Lion Dance didn't work! We have Ice Dams!

I saw pictures of friends posting their accomplishments cleaning their roofs of and breaking their ice dams and I am beginning to feel pretty useless in this respect. I mean normal Dads are taking care of their houses why can't Kung Fu Dad? The answer is either those dads are abnormally useful or that Kung Fu Dad is abnormally useless. I won't say I am useless, but the truth is a mixture of both. I am afraid to go on the roof, I lack the ladder and I don't know how. I know my friends just did it. But I am beginning to see why people who can just do it don't take to Kung Fu. Because if they got into a fight that would just win... without training. They would just get it done. It is the cautious afraid type that is more drawn to training and dedicating one's life to various exercises with no pay off, in fact often paying.

Our downstairs neighbor upon luckily finding a guy to do the roof, who is probably around my age and very courageous looking and simply goes up, ties himself to the chimney and gets it done said to me, "Hey it's Chinese New Year, aren't you supposed to be blessing our house? It didn't work! We have ice dams now!"
Not only that but the heater is also leaking so a plumber must be called.

I suppose if I was earning a living I wouldn't mind as much, but actually Grace is the one who earns the living so what is it exactly that I am doing?

I am beginning to see that it was time I learned a trade. I could have should have would have done it earlier. And to tell the truth I can't even start NOW. Before I go off doing something full time or even part time, Jonah needs to be in school. But when he is, I have to learn something, and get into being the stereotypical American Dad who hangs out at the hardware store and can DO things. Maybe I should ask these roof guys if they will accept apprentices or interns, or whatever I would be called to start over at the beginning of usefulness on my journey to mastering a craft other than punching and kicking the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment