Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A Fool's Injury

One one of the Snow days I decided to try and get Noah to do a Kung Fu Class with me. Not the regular Yoga Fu we've been doing within the confines of a mat, but a performance style one. Noah was not interested at all. So as I began to try out fdiiferent moves and then do some of my old kicks that were jumpy and spinny and show boaty, I tried one i was not as familiar with as I felt my body warming up.
Bam!
My foot hit the corner of Noah's Thomas the Train play set, a table where you can lay down track and train that has been covered with other sorts of toyr for a while now. Well I didn't break my foot, but it was that sort of hit where your toe goes numb and you aren't sure. It was bad enough that my foot was bleeding slightly even though I didn't hit anything that was actually sharp.

The endorphins or stress hormones that went through my body while I wiggled my toes while Noah looked at what looked pretty gross to a kid pulsed in a way that made me feel... alive.

Well it still hurts but it wasn't broken. But it very easily could have been. And even If I had practiced outside in this way I could have pulled something. I think this is a sign that I should stick to my Yoga Fu when inside. I.e. stay within the confines of the small mat.

And then when I do begin to practice outside in warmed whether, still keep my movements within the familiar of what I have been doing recently, and not what I may have done years ago.

I'm not saying I should never to jump kicks or even learn new exciting athletic things. But just not now. Instead, anything I try to do that requires athleticism, stretching, jumping, spinning, should be done slowly first. And after all, the fact that I can still do the routine that is on the mat that I was doing before even with the hurt foot, shows that is really the direction I should take my training for now.

I realize I was thinking about performing, in a space in the future and was working towards that, experimenting. But really when I practice, I should just focus on here and now and what I can do here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment