Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Voting

I voted with Jonah today and also contributed to the school's bake sale. Yes I get to vote at the school where my kid goes. Convenient eh?
They always tell you not to say who you voted for, or rather white people usually say that and get upset when you ask them even if they have obvious political indicators on their bumper stickers and stuff. Grace once asked her dad, (who seems to have converted from Taiwanese to Italian), who he voted for.
"I'm not telling You!" he said. And then he told her.

I happened to vote very interestingly today.

First off I voted for the people who I kind of know. As in I meet them all the time or used to work for them or whatever. Dan Conley, Sonia Chang Diaz, Felix Arroyo.

Then for Governor and Lt. Govenor I wrote in Leland Cheung, twice. That might not make sense, but he's not gonna win. Between Baker and Coakley, I'm not sure. I just don't like Coakley. Baker seems alright but still. I say I am independent but I can never bring myself to actually vote Republican. Leland Cheung is a Cheung man, plus he's mixed. Plus I met the guy. Those are not good reasons to choose a leader you say?

Whatever man.

Voting isn't about choosing a leader. In a way it often doesn't matter who you vote for. But it does matter that you vote.

Voting is a game we play instead of having a civil war. Instead of taking up arms we cast a vote. Would I really take up arms against my wife? Of course not. But say the story of Peggy Shippen and Benedict Arnold can show how a family of opposite political ideals can change your "vote."

Anyway, when people cheat at voting, like when they rig some machinery in Florida, that's dirty, and unfair and all that. But then again all is fair in war.

You vote to show that you would fight. (Of course maybe I actually wouldn't) Or to show who you would fight for, and then we get a winner, and they rule the city or state or whatever it is.

If you don't vote, and your group doesn't vote, nobody cares about you or will pay any attention to you. They will build a highway right through your neighborhood.

If you vote, even for the opponent, they have to try and get your vote.

For a bunch of categories where I didn't really know the candidates I voted for the Green/Rainbow party candidate. Because who the hell are the main guys there. What have they done for me? Why haven't they tried to get my attention. F them.  I'll vote for the guy who won't win to show that they could have had my vote if they tried harder. Slackers.

For categories without a random independent, I just put Cheung. Even though Leland didn't even want those positions. And for Sheriff, I actually put Adam Cheung. Cause who is Steve Tompkins other than a poster. I haven't seen him around. You put some effort and I'll vote for you. He'll probably win anyway, but I'm just saying.

For questions, I got all this mail saying to go No on question 2. But then I saw it was like Nestle and all these companies that wanted that. I read the question and you know what? F soda. I drink tap water boiled. Yeah Grace buys soda but she shouldn't. So not just recycling, but yeah F all soda and all bottled water.

F gambling to. They should pass a law to beat gamblers with sticks. Am I being insensitive? My dad was a gambler. Much respect to him. But F gambling.

What was the other one. I don't even remember.

I'm just saying, From now on I'm going to start a campaign not only for people to vote but to vote my way.
Like don't just vote the party line. Vote for some people you know and try to know the issues and all that. But then for parts you don't know, definitely don't leave it blank or don't just vote for the one candidate.



Yeah vote for me. Or whatever, let's all decide on someone to vote for who probably won't win, but will show up with some sort of statistic to make people scratch their heads and reevaluate themselves and their campaign. Vote to show that you matter (sort of). Or at least that you support someone who does, even if that person won't win.

It's not about making an informed decision. (well maybe the questions are) Imagine you are a Viking tearing up that place with a battle ax. Because that's what voting really represents.

And Jim Braude and Marjory Eagan talking about staying home if you aren't informed about the candidates or saying to leave those sections blank... BS.

Sorry Democracy does not work the way most people think it does. It matters a little who wins, but ultimately the big companies will have them in their pockets. But who they throw a bone to depends on who voted. If you always vote for the same party loyally then they will take you for granted, so don't do that either. This election or that election doesn't matter. What matters is patterns over time of election after election after election.

If your group or neighborhood is the swing vote, even better. Everyone will pay attention to you. So it's good to make your group or neighborhood somehow appear as politically diverse as possible so you aren't lumped into some category.

So go vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment