Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Fasting and Christianity

On Monday I fasted again. much like last time I was thinking, "Why the hell am I doing this?" for much of the time. I did more Kung Fu than usual, to distract myself. And then I started reading this book I borrowed from the library about fasting and Christianity. It wasn't as useful as I thought. I was expecting more academic research and , well, substance.
When I read the scientific book about fasting, I felt like most of it was studies trying to show the benefits. Which is great. But, I'm already on board, and I'm working without a doctor's supervision so I'm not doing anything over three days. In fact, yesterday I only fasted for 24 hours exactly, breaking my fast with macaroni and cheese, which I probably shouldn't have done. But I felt fine, because it was only one day.

Some things that were interesting about the book. Early Christians fasted twice a week, which the scientific book said can be damaging. They also did it more for faith than health. It sounds like they mixed it with prayer. A lot of the fasting sounds similar to vision quests in Native American  and other Shamanic cultures. Except there aren't any drums involved. But in general the book was a little too Christian Feely for me.

What's the word I'm looking for?

Basically I feel like there are two types of Christian language and conversation. There's academic stuff which I find fascinating and cool, which will break down where a myth came from and what it's purpose is, that sort of thing. And then there is stuff that feels like it is trying to sell me something, and get me to accept a fairy tale as is. It seems cheap and commercial. This book had moments of both I guess.

Commercial. Commercial Christianity. Now that I am sort of Christian I guess that's what I'll call the stuff that turns me off.


I'm realizing that the book that I am looking for, "fasting experiences for a "normal" guy who used to work out more than 6 hours a day and eat like every two hours." You know, fasting for someone, who used to consider it to be crazy. And maybe something like "Faith for a guy that like believing in everything but makes sure his decisions are made rationally and even atheistically.

I'll write that book after I'm done with the one I'm working on, and then the one that is still in outline form.

The book I'm working on now is no longer a self help book, but a book of fiction that reads like a self help book. I've decided to take an ax to much of the personal and beautiful parts that I have emotional ties too. But only by doing this can I create the book I want it to be. So, no mercy.

I will still attempt my three day fast next month. Should I still do the once  a week thing leading up to it? I might just try to keep a healthier diet. But then again, it is fasting that helps me do this in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment