Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, April 11, 2014

Songkran

So this Sunday is Palm Sunday, and also Songkran. I only know about this Holiday from movies and television. According to Wikipedia it is the New Year for Laos, Cambodia, and Thaliand. And according to what I've seen a big part of the festival is about soaking each other with water and smearing chalk on each other. It is considered a Buddhist Holiday but I guess the modern emphasis is on the party, and there is traditionalist reactions about this.... just like Christmas in the United States I guess.

This seems like a great holiday for Americans, provided that it is hot outside. It is Spring, but this is New England and I haven't put away the scarves and hats just yet. Yesterday Afternoon was actually quite chilly.

I only know this holiday is coming up because an old Professor of mine posted something that Bridgewater State University is doing for the holiday.

I have started a Jamaica Plain Asian Society on Facebook, but it's like me and some of my friends who have like the page. (I'm still working the whole idea out.) And I don't think I can organize and event by Sunday. But I could just do something with my kids.

"Why don't we go to the tot lot, spray water on each other and then get Wonder Spice Cafe take out?" I said to Grace. (Wonder Spice Cafe is a Thai/Cambodian restaurant right near the tot lot.)

"Whay don't we just get Wonder Spice take out and not spray each other with water?" Suggested Grace more firmly.

As for the Buddhist aspect.... I guess I could make the kids meditate. Or maybe there is some sort of prayer we could recite. (I know I am Catholic now but that doesn't mean I'm not also Buddhist inside) Of course it is Palm Sunday too. Not that I ever really did much for that in my life. Besides that's all leading up to Easter anyway and it doesn't sound like as much fun. Though it is possible to do Church and then Tot Lot, but it would be a stretch.

Of course maybe Wonder Spice will be closed. I guess I'll stop by today and ask if their doing anything, and see if perhaps next year, we could work together to make a real event.

Noah will be in a local Public School by then, and perhaps I will have more traction for this Jamaica Plain Asian Society thing.

The event I did at the library was a success by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment