Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, April 7, 2014

Chinese Cultural Fair

Today I'm presenting a Chinese Cultural Fair at the Connolly Branch Library. I brought everything over there on Saturday. Now today (Monday) I just have to set it up before 6:30. There will be a table with Chinese Calligraphy. I bought all these little brushes and there is ink and also a Children's paint that is black. I'll quickly write some Chinese words that non-chinese people like to write. Love, Power, Peace, Spirit that sport of thing. I'll also write water, mountain, person, the numbers and a few quick sketches too. They will just be the examples. Then the kids will just scribble or have at it and the adults can copy the characters. Hopefully some Chinese people will show up and do some writing.

I will also have a musical instruments station. My Chinese dulcimer and yuen will be out and available for people to touch and play. I hope adults will keep their children from doing something like stomping on it. I will demonstrate a couple of songs on the dulcimer and a few songs on the gao hu. I might let adults try the gao hu. No kids on that though.


I will also have a kids toy drum, gong and cymbals (which I need to remember to bring over) and a real lion head, a baby head, and some cardboard heads the kids can color or take home or whatever.

I'll do a little bit of what I usually do in the Kung Fu park. Maybe I'll even do that twice if people come and go.

As I was setting the stuff on the stage on Saturday, there was a Spanish-English conversation group there.
My kids were with Grace at the store... so I joined the group. I haven't really spoken Spanish in ten years. I actually talked about what I would be doing today. It helped for if I ever have to do a Chinese Lion Dance workshop in Spanish. I think I will start going to that conversation group every week, and when Noah and Jonah are old enough, I will start to bring them too. In fact I was thinking I should start a Chinese-English conversation and writing group in JP. Heck we should have one in Chinatown. I see a lot of classes in Chinatown but not a lot of informal groups. They would rally be good for both the restaurant workers are older and wouldn't necessarily want to be in a "class" and also the "Gentrified" people who are moving into Chinatown and want to learn the language, and frankly, for Chinese Americans who want to practice speaking Chinese or learn another dialect.

No comments:

Post a Comment