Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, April 28, 2014

An interesting Baptism

We had the boys Baptized yesterday after Church. It was much more difficult than I imagined. They wouldn't stop moving or asking questions, not just about the ritual itself, but like everything. Noah didn't want to listen to a thing the priest was saying, he just wanted to jump around and ask me why the Earth went around the sun. But every time he asked that I kept thinking ,"Gallileo."
Not sure why.
There was another child also being baptized, and I can totally see now, why they baptize the kids at that age, when they can move, or talk.

When Noah realized they were going to put water on his head he started freaking out and part of me though the water was going to go up in steam and burn his skin, like that girl from the exorcist. Or at least I thought I should explain that my kid is not a devil, but just doesn't like water on his face. Did we get pictures of that?

But I skipped the introductions and some of the questioning. Fr. Shen talked to Grace about her getting baptized later, and mentioned to me that she was quite beautiful. I felt like he was being polite. Grace felt she was being hit on. I think it's just a cultural thing.

Then we started talking about the meaning of the names Noah and Jonah, and I realized I didn't really know much about Jonah's story. So Fr Shen explained.

Then we got to Noah's and I knew that one, so I started telling the story to Grace at the request of Fr. Shen. (Grace preferred to read the New Testament.) But in a weird way, I felt like the story was almost inappropriate for Church. Does that even make sense? Well the story is the angels were getting it on with all the human women and creating giants and the world was corrupt so God decides he's going to kill everyone and start over.
Then I thought I'd talk about Noah's brother. So I did. Then I realized that version of the story with Noah's brother is from the Koran, so I started back pedaling big time.

Then Noah jumped off of something onto some other thing so I had to go stop that.

There were also a lot of questions at the Baptism and Grace was like, "I think your were supposed to study for those." I was only at two baptisms before and one of them was my own, so I don't remember much about that.

Some of them were pretty straight forward.

"Do you renounce Satan?"

"Ummm yeah sure." I thought. Why would I be for evil? I mean I guess my view of Satan is closer to the Jewish view, where he is sort of just an argument against God but is actually work for Gos. More like Severus Snape and less like Voldemort. And Dumbledore would be God. But in the Catholic view, if he's just Voldemort. Yeah I renounce that.

"I do." I said.

And then as the questions went on I sort of started getting solemn and holy feeling. Like there was light emanating and I was taking on a serious quest and had found my calling.
Then Noah would whisper extremely loudly in my ear, "Why's that guy talking?"

Well we did that. They are baptized. And depsite Noah wanting to play with the candles, we managed to keep the Church in harmed too.
On to the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment