Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Real life applications of Monkey King's Style

I was thinking about the Monkey King this morning, and how you would take the story to a real life situation. Basically through repetition of story after story, you see something like a beautiful young woman walking down the road, or an old man begging or some other sort of innocent bystander. The human reaction of the Monk is to feel compassion towards that person. If the girls are hot, the pig might lust after them. The old Sand Monk will take some note of them. And Monkey King will smash their heads in with a club.


Basically I was thinking how, if someone asks you for money, you will think, "Look they are my brother, they are my friend, they are my son. I love them I care for them. I don't really have money for myself, but here you are." This is the monks reaction. The guy trying to be a better person.

But the Monkey King is also trying to be a better person. And he is an immortal with countless years of experience that knows a lot of the Gods are full of shit, but the Buddha who stuck him under a mountain for 500 years was no joke and so his reaction may have a valid point.

If Noah asked me for money in his twenties, bail money, or some sort of problem like that. Part of me wants to say I would always be there to help. Even after he has his own kids.

But perhaps the best thing I could do for him at that point, after such a question, would be to clobber him in the face brutally with my face and then in the solar plexus and then after he has dropped to the floor to kick him a few times. Why? He is still me son, but he is in his twenties. There must be some reason why he got into a situation like that. And simply saying "No." is sort of the lame reaction you give to a stranger. He came to me for Fatherly love and I just gave it to him in his adult format, because timeouts, when you are twenty, well.. I suppose there are still timeouts, their called jail time. But that is for the State to handle and not family.


The scenario going through my head this morning of course was not about my son. But I was thinking that in the past I have been like that idiot Tripitaka, and perhaps the Pig. I have a feeling that the Sand Monk is a lot more like the Monkey King in his thoughts and I was thinking that my Grandfather on my mother's side had the experience of the Sand Monk but often probably had similar thoughts to the monkey King but had to abide (usually) by Human social norms. I wasn't thinking of Noah asking more for money. But actually the more I think about it it would be really weird for messed up for him to ask me for money. He would have had to mess up big time for him to have less money then me and the above reaction mentioned would be the appropriate parental action for dealing with an adult child. That reaction, and to them deal with the problem through support of course. That prodigal son story has know guts. Sometimes you have to show power, before you show kindness. (not that you leave the kindness out necessarily.)

No comments:

Post a Comment