Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spring Panda Kung Fu

Today was a Springy type of day. They type of day that is warm enough for the Little Panda children to go outside to do our little Kung Fu class. I forgot how much more enjoyable it was to do the class outside. There is more space, the warm light is great, and there are trees in the courtyard. The classes seemed to go by much faster and the hitting drills (I had them hit a ball, perhaps i should start bringing the pad again because it is easier for me to hold. Plus one of the girls hits the ball so hard I almost drop the ball every time.) anyway the drill was less difficult because I didn't have to make them stand on the wall.
Dai Dai was not as well behaved. He is definitely doing the whole terrible two thing. After both classes we went to the playground. I realized that I used to work out a lot more than I do now because I used to work out at the playground hard everyday. I did not do that today. Instead I occasionally gripped the ground with my stance and I followed Jonah through the  structure, because he wanted me to. It's just easier that way. I think I'm going to stick with my light morning work out and an after school workout as well everyday.

In fact this morning, after pulling teeth practically, Noah did do 100 Kung Fus (but Jonah was crying because he missed something or other) and then when we were going to school Noah said he wanted to practice harder than Nathaniel. Nathaniel is in our group and is younger, but bigger and stronger. I told Noah it was possible for Noah to maybe be stronger than Nathaniel if he practices harder than Nathaniel. This is sort of true because even if he isn't physically stronger, by practicing harder he may be able to use his strength better, and thus be stronger overall, but in a different way. He would probably still lose though in something like an arm wrestling match. But would be better at say push hands. That is my personal experience. Of course, it is possible for him to win at the arm wrestling match too, just less likely. But either scenario would require more training to overcome a naturally weaker body.

The point is, Noah ran for the last sidewalk stretch to Stony Brook and while he ran, we did the different Kung Fu animals. After we did all ten we started over. He didn't do the moves martially really. But he had fun, and he was a lot more energized on the train and in a better mood... until he found out that we still got to school after 9:00am. But still we got there at 9:15 which is earlier than we were  doing all winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment