Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday class

Well after spending three hours out in the wind I think I may have gotten me and the boys sick. Noah was very disruptive during our little Kung Fu park class, but then he wanted to stay in the park afterward, hitting sticks and ice.. and I figured we haven't been out in so long.... In fact a group of people came by ringing bells and reciting poetry in celebration of the spring equinox. It turns out the trees that we do Kung Fu around are more than 200 years old. And the group was saying how the sycamores have ties to ancient Greek philosophers who taught under them. I thought that was funny because now I teach wheels on the Kung Fu bus under them... which is my philosophy.
I sort of ignored Noah during his break downs because I want him to understand that just because he is having some issue, like he missed one of the moves.. the class has to go on. But then when I stopped and just did what he said, he calmed down. That's okay in a small group, but he did that at little panda, and I don't like to show favoritism in my classes. But I have a suspicion that he breaks down just so I will show favoritism.

In fact he had an issue during my workshop at CM too. I guess he didn't want me talking to all of them.. He didn't want his attention to be shared with the 500 students I was lecturing to. And so I actually had to kneel and tell the story of Taishanese American, Kung Fu, and that sort of thing to 500 students, as if it were some sort of play, where I was telling the story to Noah and they 500 people became the invisible audience. Don't get me wrong. It worked out. In fact it probably made the lecture more interesting. But.. I don't know.

In any case, I am realizing that the class is not too long. In fact, it is not long enough. And the reason why it is not long enough is because it is too packed full of activity, going from exercise to exercise like Sesame Street goes from segment to segment. But they get tired. And I guess they need more breaks. I suppose eventually, as my kids get older, the class may even become more informal. Where there are children just playing there own thing, and then serious students, the team, practicing hard on whatever it is they have to learn because they have to perform. That's my vision anyway. That's right, I have a vision for an actual team. And that team will include heads and drums that fit into Grace's new cars trunk. That's why I am making a Taiwanese style head, and I'll make pole arms and weapons that collapse, and we need a little drum and stuff too. I figure our weapons can even be made out of cardboard. I made a couple of swords. Noah liked them but they don't look all that great. But I still have time for that. Noah can't even do real hand forms yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment