Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Church Day

Me and Noah went back to St. James today. Today was an English Mass downstairs in a smaller room, with guitar playing, and the guitar player turned out to be someone who studied at Woo Ching White Crane when he was a child, all grown up now. Noah's noises were louder and more obvious in this smaller room, so that was a little distracting. I liked the songs, and the fact that the words were up there and I could sing along.
I said a few prayers for my Aunt Anne, who is living with cancer, (probably not for much longer)
Actually whenever I had gone through tragedy in some way of that sort, I would worship Mary and light a candle even before I was really a "Christian" per se.
So I guess today I actually got something out of being in Church because I was there for a reason, other than, just practicing our family religion. I was doing something I had done for a while and for a reason. And the sermons had a more meaning for me too. The part that I heard anyway.

At first I felt myself being back to my old self with some of the prayers and songs that focused a lot on putting your faith in Jesus, and the reading of the Nicene Creed, and proclaiming your faith regarding the divinty of Christ, that he was begotten by God, that  he ascended into heaven.. etc. all this stuff that I used to hate about going to Church because I would have all these questions like, "Why can't other be Divine too? How do we know Jesus ascended into heaven?"
But I figured since I was already here in Church I might as well go all the way and say it and say it like I meant it. If you are going to play pretend, you might as well believe it and play pretend real hard for real, otherwise what's the point of going? So I did. And it felt good, because like I said, I need religion right now.

Actually I simultaneously entertain most of the ideas of the major religions and systems of beliefs.. including Atheism. But while you are in a Catholic Church, be a Catholic. And while talking Science, well be a Scientist that doesn't discount Atheism.

Ultimately the reason why I went back to Church is, I believe in God, I believe in a divine Jesus Christ (because I believe in a lot of divine things, including fictional characters from stories and movies, and I believe that my Faith in them gives them power.) And tacking all of those powerful ideas into One God and getting a group to all worship in one direction gives some power of community faith, and if that is the same faith that my mother took comfort in (though she had her questions as well) and if it is the same faith of many of my ancestors, that is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment