Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween Monsters

I noticed a huge difference between the sweet little children that I accompanied going store to store and door to door politely saying trick or treat and saying thank you and happy Halloween....and the children who later rioted when e wouldn't give them a lollipop until they finished their dinner. Smiles and giggles turned to screaming and crying. Then when they finally did get their fix of sugar there was more joyful rioting. I think Jonah did around 15 laps during story time. I tried to keep the intake down, but when it came down to it, they had a lot more candy then they are used to. I usually sue one of those small packs of gummies over a course of week, bribing them with one gummy for say, getting into the stroller and being good on the train. Bust somehow they thought the rules were different since it was Halloween. Okay. They knew the rules were different because they saw that we had bags and bags full of candy that were just being given out on the street. I tried to do less this year, but somehow I was still tired, and we didn't hit the Church and Whole Foods until it was dark. I remember waking Noah out of his nap last year to start early. So I guess I was a little behind this year.
I also heard that there is some street that really gets into it with decorations in JP... Dunster street or something like that. Well we'll have to stop by there next year. Really I think it's more about the carnival atmosphere than the candy. After all I'm not actually going to let my kids consume most of that.  I think Grace brought a bunch into work. When you think about it most of that candy really is junk, and if I wanted good candy, it's not exactly that hard to get. But it's fun to go door to door collecting something like you're in a video game.  They could give out acorns and the little kids would care. They would just go with it.
Actually one bakery was giving out cupcakes and a child who we were sort of travelling with complained. I said, "Are you kidding? These are way better than candy!" Think about it, cake or fruit needs to be picked or made and has a brief shelf life. But hard candy is all preserved sugar. How cheap is sugar if you were to buy a pound of it? But kids want what their used to. Well, now what sort of festivities do we have to look forward to? Noah asked me if we can do Christmas tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment