Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Stick workout

Yesterday and the day before that I decided to do a new workout. (I've noticed I constantly have a new gimmick that I'm doing but at least they are my own gimmicks, and at least there all related to Kung Fu. So I guess I just need to keep changing things slightly in order to keep practicing everyday. But at least I practice everyday)
The new idea was working out with a stick, a rather heavy branch. I wanted a way to work out my forearms I guess because my arms are starting to look particularly skinny.
I basically stumbled out of the house in layers and in flip flops (so as not to have to put on socks) and did slow free style movements with the stick branch. For a stick it is heavy, but for a weight it is light. It was freestyle because I don't have a lot of space in front of my house to be swinging a stick, or doing a whole form in order. So I just did Mein lay jum (tai chi -ish moves) Then after I was bored of that I planted my self far enough away from anything so the stick (which is around a baseball bat weight I guess) wouldn't break our own property and swung it in horse stance in a sort of a punch out, except a stick out. Then the next day I did the same thing even though my forearms were sore. I mean my forearms were sore and so was a lot of my upper body, but it's not like I was lifting weights right? The stick is light. I mean heavy for what I'm doing I suppose. Anyway this morning I thought I would warm up by doing the mein lay jum form and then only do the mein lay jum stick, not fast stuff. But I decided to skip the stick after all. I guess I should have done day on and day off, even though it is a light stick and even though I didn't not really workout for that long of a time. My body just isn't used to it and needs to adjust and rest. I'll try to keep it up though because it was really good for the forearms and kind of fun too. Plus it's probably good prep for when I have to start shoveling snow in the same out door area.

No comments:

Post a Comment