Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Playground hawk

After a pretty fulfilling little panda indoor kung fu class, or as I like to call it, Kung Fu panda class, Jonah and I hopped on th orange line back to  JP. At the playground, there was a big Hawk just hanging out by the spider web climbing structure. It saw us. Eventually Jonah saw it. It took a while because when I told him to look, he kept looking up, where the bird of prey should be, He didn't seem to startled to see us there. We didn't walk right up to it, but still, we were pretty close. Since it was as pretty close in height to Jonah I was wondering what would happen if Jonah ran neat it and the bird took him as a threat. I have heard from mothers that the geese do bite kids. I heard this as Jonah was running towards one and the mother mentioned a goose had nipped her son.
Having seen that old Kirk Douglas Viking movie where the Hawk actually claws out his eye, I kept oblivious Jonah on the other side of the playground.
When we left, the Hawk was still just chilling there on the fence.

Another time in Chinatown th playground by the round church actually, I saw a Hawk try to catch a rat as the rat ran right under the play structure. Simultaneously, some other small bird kept trying to dive bomb into the hawk until it left it's territory. I saw a similar interaction between probably the same species of small bird and a hawk by Jamaica Pond also. I never saw many Hawks growing up, but they seem to be all around now. Lounging around playgrounds and what not. Or maybe as a child I was just as oblivious as Jonah.

No comments:

Post a Comment