Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Manga

I have just recently gotten into "Path of the Assassin" by the creator of "Lone Wolf and Cub" I also read one of his other ones called, "Samurai Executioner." SE is a lot like Law and Order, except in old Edo (Tokyo). One of the most interesting aspects of this particular Manga, is the stories about the executioner are like the detective story, except it starts with the execution of the criminal. You are never introduced to the characters surrounding the crime. Instead the criminal has some last words or wishes and then this executioner tries his best to carry that out, however strange, so that he can understand the person whose head he cuts off at the beginning of the story. That's really an interesting concept. So much more insightful than Criminal Minds.
Path of the Assassin is semi historical and has lots of martial arts and strategic applications, but since it is linear I am afraid of reading it out of order. In fact I haven't read the first one, I started on number 2. I guess I should have borrowed a ton of them, but for some reason I thought I would only be mildly interested. When reading these things, I didn't realize that they were kind of old, because they seemed so.. timeless I guess is the word. It wasn't until I youtubed Lone Wolf and Cub while Jonah was sleeping that I realized it was actually a show in the 70's. So that manga was a contemporary of Bruce Lee, Westerns, and Kung Fu the series. I tried to find and English dub but actually couldn't stop watching the episode in Japanese (without subtitles. Every time I wanted to switch it looked like something bad ass was about to happen. Low and behold, the main character is approached on a bridge by some thugs while he is pushing his little cart (stroller) with his child inside. As soon as they get within range and start to draw swords he cuts them all down. The little cub has to duck. Watching as a parent I'm thinking all these things like, "Cub is not really developing much language skills like this."
But in truth I guess I shouldn't be watching this show. It might give me wrong ideas.  I already want to make the theme song my ringtone, and honestly I thought of that cart idea before I saw it on the show. I swear. Think about it, my kids don't really need to be strapped in. Plus they can like play with toys while sitting.. and if they have blankets, maybe even fall asleep lying down. It would be good for Chinese New year. But then it's kind of bulky for the subway... stop see what I mean. I shouldn't be allowed to watch this show.

Plus I was tempted to watch it with Jonah when he woke up. Then there was a punch of shooting and killing. I guess it's not a good idea. I read a couple of the mangas a while ago, and I think I'll do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment