Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, November 18, 2013

Childish Tastes

I'm noticing that my tastes in what I read, and watch is no longer, "adult" I looked for a bunch of titles at the library and found that they were listed as Juvenile, or teen fiction. Which makes sense since I'm also starting to read more comic books, and even the movies I want to watch have to be sort of magical and light. Anyway I got a bunch of stuff by Neil Gaiman and I think it's what I've been looking for. I'm not sure if this is because I have children and am craving something only slightly more adult then they are, but not quite adult.
It's strange because when I was the age when I was to read teen fiction, I was reading Hemingway and Michael Crichton. But even science fiction with swear words in it is to adult for me now.
I suppose this is how, when a teenager and a grandparent are watching tv that the grandparent can be the one to say, "Oh this is too violent." or inappropriate, or sexual or whatever, even though when the grandparent was younger they watched and did all of those things perhaps to more extreme measures than even fictional tv shows show. But after going through raising a few children and being indoctrinated by various children's programming, after stopping late night outings and what not, that stuff becomes a little too much.
Maybe I should read those Hemingway books again, sometime, but then again they are a little depressing. Just like Mishima's books really in that you can kind of see by reading about all the death in those books, that yes the author would eventually kill himself. I probably shouldn't have been reading that kind of stuff in middle school. It probably made me all cynical and depressed. I also read the Hitchhiker's guide in middle school though and loved it and had no idea that that was Neil Gaiman who wrote that, and that all these new books out that people are raving about had to do with him. Oh well, off to plunge into a fantasy world while Jonah sleeps. If I can only reach the book without moving the elbow he is resting his head on right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment