Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, November 8, 2013

Oishinbo

Yesterday I talked about a bunch of Manga I can't read with my kid. Oishinbo is one that Noah really likes. I was disapointed that he couldn't care less about Calvin and Hobbes. But he would sit there for this Manga and have me read it all the way through. Oishinbo is basically like an Anthony Bourdain version of Manga. Except I think it predates Bourdain's fame. It's about a food critic, with cooking skills of his own, who is working on the Ultimate Menu for a newspaper. But it still has all the clan rivalry, challenges and that sort of thing because he is at odds with his father, who is writing for the Supreme Menu for another newspaper. It's pretty awesome.
Did I mention that Noah loves cooking?
Noah always plays at cooking when Grace is cooking. When I cook I will actually give them the ends of vegetables to cut up with a butter knife. I've just found it to be easier.
Noah had all these questions about how to cut the fish, why the guy is cutting the fish, etc etc.
I guess I should try to borrow the rest of these Oishinbo Mangas. I might even try and buy a couple, but something tells me they are expensive.

Noah has also recently been carrying around this book that came with a toy. It's basically one of those advertisement type things you throw away. It's the size of a card and he calls it his book card. It fits in his pocket. What is actually written on it is quotes from various children that are funny. But it has become his imagination book. He has been reading recipes from it much the same way Grace reads recipes off the internet while cooking. Maybe I should make a little book with him of teh same size. Maybe a manga of our own. It will probably involve cooking. It's nice that it fits right into his pocket too. He even slept with it last night and brought it to school today. Well that's a little project for this weekend. I guess I can cut some thing cardboard, like from a cereal box, for the cover, and then out some pages in there and then we can draw some stuff and write some words on it. Shouldn't be to hard. If I can find the scissors.

No comments:

Post a Comment