Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Chinese Children's songs

I recently stopped playing the rr cherry pie videos before Jonah's nap and have replaced them with Children's songs. He knows the whole genre of Chinese children's songs as Dai Sai Gwa. And from there I discovered other ones. There is the pin wheel song (guk fa yuen) which is in spoken Cantonese. I had a very strong reaction to this song the first time I heard it. Maybe it's because the title of the video is Dai Sai Gwa which is deceiving and has a black and white picture of Chinese kids on a playground in the 70's. I can only guess it is Hong Kong (where else would it be?) I simultaneously loved and hated this song at the same time. Loved it because of the melody and because I could understand the words. Hated it because the lyrics were not all that, and the style and the photograph reminded me of my childhood and stories of my mom and dad in Chinatown. I know that before I would have thought of all that very nostalgically and with a wish to return...but I guess my life is just so much better now that what I used to love I've come to find depressing.
But getting the song stuck in my head, I have already sung it in front of both kids and they seemed to like it and want more. So now it is favored again.
There is a bunch of groups like Timi Zhou, Four Golden Princesses, these weird cartoon squirrels from China. And they sing a lot of the same songs. There's the mushroom girl. Selling Tang Yuan (I like that one) and some pro education song that I recognized from Wong Jing's Fong Sai Yuk movies. Some of the songs seem to put the Four Golden Princesses (all little girls, and then in some later vids they are pre teens) in somewhat, well....Let's just say I'm pretty sure women's Lib people would have a lot to say about those videos. Myself, I have a lot to say about most of the cute little girls dancing routines I've seen in general. I never got why that art was more popular with mothers than Kung Fu. When Kung Fu and folksy dances can be just as beautiful and flexy bendy, and the girls can be pretty without being.... suggestive? But I guess it's because I'm not a woman or a mother. If it were up to me all the girls would be doing Kung Fu dances instead. And I think Disney agrees with me. The last few heroines were way more tough and had clothes that were less suggestive than the Disney movies I watched. Just compare the new Snow White with the old one.
Merida and Rapunzel are both princesses. But they have training sequences as part of their montage introduction songs.

Mai Tang Yuan (selling Tang Yuan) comes close. The scene is one of those side of the road hawker places in what could be anything in the Ming Dynasty and before. Those places so common in Wuxia movies. There's no Kung Fu, but the place is familiar. The girls are dressed in those loose fitting clothes playing adults both male and female and the trained performance gestures are all about selling Tang Yuan so Crystal Ong is doing big masculine like movements, and its cute. But the mud doll song (I like the melody) and some nurses song... It's kind of like toddlers in Tiaras. But Jonah doesn't seem to care. His favorite is still Dai Sai Gwa though.

 I wish they had a whole bunch of Kung Fu songs by little kids, where the simple movements that they do as a dance, are Kung Fu moves instead.  I guess I'll just have to make these videos myself. Only Wheels on the Bus, is not really a Chinese song. I guess I'll just steal all the melodies I happen to like and dedicate each song to a particular style or animal. But then that sounds like a lot of work and my video editing skills are not so hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment