Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, November 11, 2013

Light training and the middle path

The weather is starting to confuse me and I'm starting to doubt my t-shirt and shorts method of training. Anyway, today at the playground I decided that instead of not training at all, I would just do light training. Lighat and more internal, but I still use the most practical self defense moves. This is not so much because I believe in only practicing what I would probably use in a "street fight" which I don't plan on getting into anyway. It is because those moves are the easiest to do while helicopter parenting and watching my son. If I tried to get really into some of the more advanced mein lay jum moves, or tried to do the full technique or study the technique or work out all the little details in the footwork, or even tried to do be more ture to the form, I find that my son has now left me behind and is climbing something dangerous, or is simply asking me various questions about whatever.
So why train at all?
No I just train very lightly to get some light exercise in, moving slow enough that I won't hurt nearby children if they happen to run near me unexpectedly, and I keep a pace, where yes I can talk. So I'm not exactly "wun hei" they I would if I were really focusing on certain types of breathing. But even when talking I still do the dan tian thing and work on circulating chi and all that. So it's not at the same level if I was completely focused on that alone. But that doesn't mean don't do it. I guess at this point I am training for health, and I am still below my 45 minutes of cardio a day goal I suppose. But doing some light training is better than just not training.
After the playground at Green st, we went to the tot lot and I hit (okay more like massaged) the tree there when Jonah wasn't moving around too much. Hitting them like a punching back like I might if I were by myself before I had kids is a) probably not a good idea necessarily and b) scary and perhaps inappropriate while young children are watching so closely nearby. But again, since I have to stand here and watch Jonah anyway, might as well do it as a sort of meditative exercise.  Some people might think spending hours a day developing iron palm is both difficult and stupid when it is so easy to pick up a knife or a gun. But if the option is between standing there and doing nothing, and developing just a little bit of iron palm with no pain involved, or boredom and again, it is done sort of as a mental calming exercise more than a stressed and intense need to fulfill a real iron palm goal... I don't see the big deal.
Just because you may not have time to do train like Shaolin Monks do, doesn't mean you shouldn't do a little. After all, Hung Hei Goon, didn't have all the time in the world to train after he was out of Shaolin Temple. He was on the run, and had children, and was trying to train an army. I doubt he stopped training. He had to fit it into his life somehow. Nor did he have a lot of space or a nice training facility with squeaky clean floors. He was on cramped boat most of the time right?
Which actually reminds me, just because you are moving slowly doesn't mean you aren't training hard. You can focus on Gung instead But I wasn't feeling that type of training this morning. But I'll do that for my little afternoon session with my kids at the playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment