Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Snacks from strangers

After playgroup Jonah and I headed over to Wonder Spice Cafe. We ate chicken and asparagus. Even though this dish probably caters more towards Americans, well that's what we are when it come to Thai/Cambodian food. Plus the meat and vegetables were fresh and the chicken was easy for Jonah to eat. We went over to the tot lot and ate and then played for a bit. I don't know if it was because I was so hungry or if it was because I was eating it at the playground, but the food tasted really good. I think Wonder Spice is health conscious because they give you a brown rice option and it seems like there isn't any MSG. Plus again, the ingredients seem pretty fresh. Pretty much that's all I care about nowadays, unless I'm having some sort of craving. And I only have cravings for Fau yuk, and Wanton, and maybe pei dan sau yuk jook, and maybe fu yu dao jai ngau yuk fan. And I also secretly have a fu gwa ngau yuk craving once in a while which I can not fulfill, because nobody else in my family likes fu gwa (bitter melon)
Anyway we played and romped and right when Jonah was getting tired, we were on the see-saw and he saw a mother with apple jacks and started pointing at it. "I want it." He said.
"Oh those are hers.," I said, "but we have cereal at home."
"These are my snacks," said the mother, "And you should never take food from somebody you don't know."
But already Jonah's soul was crushed and he started crying. Mainly because he was tired. The mother said if it was okay with me he could have a couple, but I was pretty sure it was more the tired factor. He did take a couple of apple jacks, but kept crying anyway and we headed home. Of course, pretty soon he fell asleep in the stroller.
The eating from strangers thing is a pretty real concern. Of course I am always with my kids so I don't have too much of a fear that he is going to be drugged and taken away and sold into slavery. I saw a thing on PBS and that's how it happens in India anyway. And the girl recounting the story said the woman who drugged her was actually a family friend.
Here it seems like the Jaycee Dugards and others who are captured and trafficked tend to be kidnapped without candy, or at least that's how the media and other movies show it to be. I guess I never really thought about such a thing in terms of snacks at the playground. I have thought of allergies of course. Or just the fact that I don't want my kid to eat too much sugar. But I feel like the other mother was thinking of the kidnapping risk by the way she phrased it. I'll tell you, once when I was like 9 or maybe 11 or so, This guy rode up to me on a bike and then asked if I want to go somewhere and look at hot naked girls on his computer. I said no, and I thought he was weird and later told my mom about it. Even when she suggested that perhaps he was trying to do something to me, I thought, "How was he going to do that." Because in my mind, even though I was smaller than him, I don't know I just thought I was invincible or at least bad ass I guess. But I guess when you are a woman, and a pretty one at that,you tend to think about the possibility of this happening to you (and others) more. Especially after what just happened to three young women in South Boston recently. Anyway, Jonah stayed asleep after I moved him inside. (Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment