Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

T-shirt excitement

I was so excited about the new T-shirts. In fact I still am. Grace helped get them done and my friend/cousin helped with putting the design images into a clean computer format. Grace thought the image needed a circle in the back to center it and it did. What came out was Jonah and Noah flying on a giant crane with either the moon or sun or other circular object in the back. Up to your interpretation.
Not everyone else was as excited about the T-shirts as I was though. They were iffy on buying them. There were questions about the price.
 I charged what I had to pay for a shirt when I had to bought one at Sityotong because I didn't realize I needed a shirt to work out at that gym. And then lowered it to what I had to pay at Woo Ching White Crane over 10 years ago, and lowered it further still if you buy two.
Most Kung Fu school's (not ours) charge a registration fee of $75 to $100 and you get a free T-shirt. The truth is what is a registration fee? Basically you are paying $100 for a T-shirt to be part of the group. So my $18 for one and $28 for two is actually pretty cheap. Not as cheap as you might pay for at on the clearance rack, but still. It comes with free Kung Fu. Or my original $25 for one and two for $30. Still cheap if you buy two. And if you buy one for yourself and your kid, that's two right there. I only did this becauseI thought $50 was getting up there for being part of a group at the park. Not that it isn't worth it. It's just that I wanted to keep the group pretty much free.
Now I realize I should just stick to my original price. $25 for a T-shirt. Tomorrow I will teach at Little Panda's and if the whole teaching the parents their thing works out. That's what the T-shirt or registration fee will cost. Then the Kung Fu classes themselves will be by donation. A few bucks a class. Whatever.
Still a small amount of money but I guess most people think of T-shirts as a thing that is given away. Like if you volunteer for something you get a free T-shirt. Or your company gives you a free T-shirt for an event. Or someone trying to sell you something gives you a free T-shirt to advertise their product.
So basically if the shirt costs more than $3 they consider it expensive. But I'm not a giant company. I had 24 shirts made and that's it. Their cool and their worth a lot to me.  Even if only me and my kids end up wearing them around it was worth it to get them.
But it's cooler if a whole group is wearing them and doing the children's Kung Fu. I'm not forcing the JP playgroup to buy them. Eventually they will want them and buy them.
But for the Chinatown group I think I will make it a required "registration fee" The main reason is if I have to get on a train to get to the group, the group has to at least show enough interest to buy a shirt.
For the JP group, it's okay if even nobody shows up and it's just me and Jonah doing sticks in the park. Because its in the park right down the street and we were going to go there anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment