Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Jumping over sticks

Jumping seems like an easy enough thing to do. Little kids do it all the time. Of course some kids jump better than ever. But if you haven't been doing a sport, or working out in a way that makes you jump, then jumping is not that easy at all. I found this out when I try to teach a children's stick form to mothers and teachers who haven't been jumping. For instance, today at little pandas, I started teaching the teachers the stick form and then they can teach the kids. The form is sort of like chinese patty cake. Plus we do it with pool noodles made out of foam so nobody is getting hurt. So even if I hit their legs everyone is still okay. I already knew that the jumping would be a little difficult form them. These women aren't exactly out of shape for their jobs per se. But their workouts consist of walking a lot, lifting children, and if they do any sort of other exercise, I bet they don't jump. So when they jumped over the little foam noodle they would shriek and there was a sense of a freeing feeling. I'm sure when they were little girls they ran and jumped and maybe even climbed trees all the time. But have they done any of that recently? Even my jump was somewhat clumsy from my point of view. It wasn't as smooth as it could be, but my legs are still strong. Jumping over sticks that are flying at your legs while doing other simple kung fu moves and yelling "ha! Ha! Ha!" had an effect on them. They felt like, "Oh My god I just did that. I'm like straight out of a Wuxia series on TVB" or at least that's what I got from their laughing and "wah!" ing at each other. And from the look on the children's faces, they were like, "Wow my teacher is like a Kung Fu hero!" Now I'm not talking about me. That's sort of expected because I'm the kung fu teacher. But they didn't know that their other teachers, the women that give them snack and all that, could be Kung Fu superstars too. And neither did the teachers. All from a simple stick form that actually was called a "girl's" stick form or a "children's" stick form in the village. Designed if a young girl has to fight, by doing these simple moves she could drop a man easily, especially if he doesn't have a stick. But still you have to be smooth and fast but it's quick to learn. But it's still a good thing I teach it with noodles. Teaching it with sticks can result in some pain and injury and hurt feelings. But with the noodles, it's all fun! Plus you can practice right next to children.

No comments:

Post a Comment