Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, July 29, 2013

New Hampshire

I'm up in the mountains in New Hampshire. We are not here to rough it or anything. Our main purpose is Story Land, which we did. (we will go back again of course) We also went to Clarke's Trading Post which has a bear show and a Chinese acrobats show. I was wondering what these Chinese acrobats do after the show. Do they like get to stay in the states after the season is over? Do they go back? Since there only skill are acrobats and usually they are slightly past their prime wouldn't it make sense to try and stay in the states? Not only a better economy, but less competition in terms of their niche. Or heck, pushing dim sum carts would still earn more money then a show in China.
As we came into New Hampshire, we saw quite a few martial arts places. Big shack looking things on the side of the highway. And I thought, if I had a choice to go to the mountain and do Kung Fu, or a water fall, or even at some look out point on the side of the road with some majestic mountain scenery, and a cramped indoor gym.... I gotta say of course I would pick the Kung Fu movie scenery option. Of course you have to know Kung Fu to go do Kung Fu. And I guess the same theory would apply to living in the City of Boston since there are still parks and what not. But they are crowded.
I wonder what it costs to join a Martial Arts school out here. It must be pretty cheap. Because story lands season passes are like $75. And even as an adult, if I had to choose between spending the day or month at Story land, or at a Martial Arts studio, I would pick Story land. In fact I would rather do Kung Fu at Story Land. But then again, I guess you have to already know Kung Fu.
And the same theory would apply to Boston too. I mean Franklin Park Zoo passes or Children's Museum Passes are fairly inexpensive. And playgrounds are free, and often have work out equipment. I guess in the Winter it's more difficult, but gloves and a coat are still cheaper than a gym membership over time. So mainly, I assume the only logical reason to join a school would be to learn the art itself, and so the appearance and equipment at the school itself, or indeed if there is an exact location to the school itself shouldn't really matter. Since nice scenery and fun things to play with will always be cheaper or even free than a school/gym.  I always though, and heard from people that left Woo Ching White Crane that they didn't care for the way the school looked or the lack of punching bags and weights. (Things which you wouldn't use much in traditional training. And again, you could always buy or even make that equipment fairly easily Go hit a tree or a tire. Then again you need to know the proper way I guess.) But then the people who stayed (like me) usually liked the way the school looked and indeed looks.
If I had my dream school, or place of practice, I wouldn't pour money into mats and equipment. But I would pour money into Gardening and statues and that sort of thing. Mr. Miyagi's dojo/house was pretty nice. So are those court yards where the rich Manchurian villain of a KF movie practice. But then the heroes always seem to be, well fugitive homeless guys and gals working out in the woods with beautiful natural scenery. Or in some nasty shack. And even Shaolin Temple and Wudang guys end up working in the less beautiful part of the Temple. Or if it is beautiful, it is the view. Because underneath them is just flat or muddy ground. And their equipment is stuff hung on trees. But when you think about it, branches hang from trees and have varying thickness and even have leaves to act as target papers, so in truth, even the act of hanging something on a tree is time wasted that could be spent practicing, or working on your other arts, hobbies, or livelihood.

No comments:

Post a Comment