Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, July 8, 2013

Group learning or one on one

I guess it's time I put up some flyers for my little Free Kung Fu Playgroup. Probably I will only put up two. One at the tot lot, and one at the park. I think any stay at home mothers with kids that are not in school, or even nannies would be interested... because the group is free after all. I haven't put them up yet because I didn't want like 20 people showing up. But I realize that is very unlikely to happen now. I think too that the idea of doing a weekend class in Chinatown is probably not fun or convenient for me.
If I did do a class... more for Noah than Jonah, than I should just do it at the park again. And then again, to make it really convenient for myself, why not just take Noah to the park and do one on one stick fighting.

It's hard to say which is better for them, one on one training or in a group. I started the group because they seemed to be resisting the one on one training. But now I've noticed Jonah fighting for my attention during the groups. Well not fighting exactly, but either acting up or refusing to participate, then the second the group is over he is back to acting relatively normally. I haven't had a group class for Noah in a while. Mainly because we had this Lion Dance event and that so I counted those events as a class for him. Then this last weekend we did sticks. I didn't even bother making him do forms and such. After all, when it is just the two of you you can let him try and whack you with sticks. It is only when there is a group that you can't do this and therefore have train through forms. A more top down approach where the students have to learn by doing moves they might not understand. As opposed to learning how to hit, but trying to hit me, and chase me, and learning about defense through my stick touching him. Of course at some point you will benefit from learning different techniques that you might not be able to come up with one your one.

No comments:

Post a Comment